navigation

Santorini: Arrival

November 21, 2014


Right now, I couldn't be happier. No, really. This post may borderline on bragging, but there's a fine line between bragging and narrating in detail. Also, it is more than likely that the word 'happy' will be used more times than humanly possible in this post. Do forgive, as that is the only thing I am feeling right now.


It is around 10 in the evening and I am currently in our white-washed cave house in Santorini which features blue window shutters. Clad in my beloved blue-and-white-striped oversized polo shirt which blends in oh so well with my present setting, I comfortably take my cross-legged position on the couch and start letting the words flow. Honestly, it doesn't get any better than this.



Suddenly, mum starts playing the Mamma Mia! soundtrack and everything gets a billion times better. I couldn't have thought of a more perfect moment myself. Everything is flawless. Throughout the night (and my writing process), I had to keep reminding myself that I was actually in Santorini. It's always been a dream of mine to get here and it honestly still feels like one. Never had I ever imagined my fifteen-year-old self on this beautiful island in our own whitewashed cave house, writing about it. 


Let me rewind and tell you about our arrival.


We finally touched down in the land of my dreams. We were picked up by our private transfer, driven by a hearty-looking, balding man whose driving made my insides churn. He took us to our villa in Oia, the outrageously famous village at the tip of Santorini. Now, since Oia was [as it seemed] quite far, so was the drive. I had no idea that we were driving on a road that cut through the middle of a mountain; I was a Santorini newbie after all, and it was nighttime. I couldn't imagine the road swerving more, even if I tried. With our driver driving a million miles an hour and the road being so swerve-y, I could already feel my head spinning.


When we could no longer go any further by car and were dropped off, I quickly escaped the van and upchucked the contents of my stomach. Our host had already met my dad while my mom was tending to me. I could hear our host asking if I was okay. I must congratulate myself on the most elegant, most fabulous entrance ever. Nice one, Tana.


I'm sure you didn't need to know that but I guess I just wanted to point out that travel [definitely] isn't all luxury and there are a lot of misfortunes encountered on the way, but that's all part of the ride!


While on the way to the villa, our host suddenly stopped and told us to look: and that was when I got my first glimpse of Santorini! Talk about all white errthang and striking blue domes. Talk about the loudest gasp I've ever heard myself emit. Talk about I-can't-wipe-this-smile-off-my-face-because-I-couldn't-be-happier. Talk about love at first sight!


We were welcomed into our predominantly-white-with-blue-accents cave house, which features a patio overlooking the beautiful Oia. Guess where I'll be spending most of my time. I must say (without sarcasm this time) that this is one of the best apartments I've ever booked. Nice one, Tana!


So right now, my parents are outside having a chat, accompanied by Ouzo. I am here in the bedroom typing away this blog post and I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I am actually in the land of my hopes and dreams. Seriously, I am in disbelief.


But more than that, I am just so so happy.